Friday, August 23, 2013

PICU

     We have been in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit since Hazel's surgery and she has been doing fairly well! It was extremely overwhelming for me at first though. When we first came in, we saw her laying in bed with 7 different tubes coming out of her and all sorts of wires. She also had an insulating shower cap on to keep her head warm. What surprised me was that she was already coming out of her anesthesia, and although groggy, was responsive to us and even fighting her breathing tube. I was able to tell her that Dr. Bliss was able to take her Neuroblastoma out and she started nodding her head showing is that she was happy! I'm so grateful God gave us that moment because the very next one she began gagging and vomiting. She ended up doing this several times, but the incredible nurses kept her clean and as comfortable as possible. It just broke my heart to watch, especially when we saw a solitary tear stream down he cheek.
     They pumped her full of four different kind of medications to help her fall asleep, but our little Hazelnut pushed through them. She wanted nothing to do with sleep and kept her eyes open and made sure we knew she didn't like this new situation. But for someone so agitated, she remained extremely calm. She wasn't pulling away or flailing around at all; just keeping her eyes open! The nurses were astounded and we told them that our daughter has quite a strong will!
     She remained pretty agitated throughout the night and even pulled out her NG tube (one that goes up her nose, down her throat and into her stomach to pump fluid out until her bowels begin working) a little bit, so she had to have her arms restrained. She really didn't end up falling into a deep sleep until late the next morning. She has been sleeping fairly peacefully ever since, waking up for 10 minutes or so here and there.
     She has had an epidural in place since the surgery, so although she has been bothered by all the tubes, she doesn't seem to be in pain at all, which we are so thankful for. The nurses have all said that she is doing very well and will recover quite nicely. Slowly but surely, they continue to take out more tubes and today we are going to be moved upstairs to the 4th floor! 
     I am so glad to have this step in Hazel's recover behind us now! It is so good to know that that awful thing is no longer inside of my daughter but is instead being chopped to pieces to help researchers gather more data for a cure. Although we had an extremely successful surgery, it is hard to feel completely relieved knowing the long road we still have ahead of us, particularly the Stem Cell transplant. But for now, I will try to  just focus on each day as it comes and rest easy knowing that the tumor is out! We have about 7-10 days ahead of us for recovery, then they will administer the last round of chemo for this phase of treatment! Praise God we are here!!!
     I cannot thank you all enough for the support you provided us with on the day of her surgery. From the bottom of my heart I tell you that I could feel lifted up through your prayers and just knew that God was working!










19 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I feel some minor bit of what sadness you must feel with Hazel hooked up to all of that stuff, just imagining if it were my daughter. I'm continuing to pray for comfort for her and both of you (Aaron and Lauren). Praise God that they tumor is gone! (And that the 2% that is left will be gone too soon)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog from the People article about Hazel's pizza party and have been a "background reader" up until now. I felt compelled to comment here though. PRAISE GOD!!! We serve such an amazing God!! Your family's strength and complete and utter trust in our Lord is so inspiring and powerful. We could all learn a thing or two from sweet Hazelnut's joy :) Your family will continue to be in my prayers until the end of this journey and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you all. This is certainly a rough journey, and I can't even imagine the worry and fear that you're dealing with. While you still have some tough road ahead, thank God this part is over and done. All our love and prayers to you and little Hazelnut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this update! Continuing to pray for her recovery, and strength for you family to help Hazelnut get through this and stay cancer free!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I follow your blog and Facebook page daily. My daughter Grace is the same age as Hazel. I wish I could give you a big hug and make all this hard stuff go away for you. I pray every night for you and all families that have been dealt a hard hand. May God protect Hazel, bind up her wounds and make her healthy and strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes for little Hazel! Hugs from Brazil!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying that you will all get some rest and feel God's peace wash over you and strengthen you for the the next stage of the battle. Praise the Lord that he goes before us and is with us at all times and through all things. Looking forward to seeing Hazel back full of sunshine again, it truly hurts to see her like this, I can only imagine your pain and admire the courage and faith that shines from you both.
    Edwina, Kuala Lumpur

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for taking time out to update us on Hazel. You and your family have an amazing faith and I know that your prayers are being heard and that this journey together will make you stronger than you ever realized. My thoughts and prayers are with you always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am constantly praying, as so many others are. A big part of her journey is behind her. That scar is hard to see, but it represents a "good thing" ---that nasty neuroblastoma is gone! So, it's a welcome sight for you I'm sure.

    God will get her through the rest, He is holding her and guiding her, and her family through this. She will be amazed at how strong she's been--when she looks back one day, when she is fully grown, and be an inspriation for so many others.

    God love her and hold her.

    With Love in Christ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for letting us know that everything went very well, God bless your family and your little angel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sorry , i'm french , but i want to say that i think of you, your all family and your little girl very much. Hug and kiss to her, she is so brave! you are too..... sorry for my bad english.

    Elodie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I m so happy to know that sweet Hazel is doing good.I cried from happiness after i read the news about the surgery.Im always going to pray for you Hazel and wishing you a healthy and happy lifel
    lots of love &kisses

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hurray for Hazel :) :)
    I am very happy for you people.
    I pray to God, You people stay happy and content and full of life for eternity.....

    Once again - Hurray :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sending you best wishes, my thoughts are with Hazel, you and your beautiful family . :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. May God bless your little girl and bless your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so happy to hear that awful tumor is out of your darling girl's body, and that this step is behind you all. You all will remain in my prayers. I want you to know I check your blog frequently for updates and because as a mother of a 2.5 year old little girl with a chronic medical condition, you provide hope and are a shining example of grace. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Still praying for Hazel everyday. God is truly miraculous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wish you all the best dear Hazel. Please get well. Esteban (from Spain).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wish you all the best dear Hazel. Please get well. Esteban (from Spain).

    ReplyDelete